Skip to main content

The Obligatory Noodles and Police Story

Sometimes I just sit and stare. Stare and reminisce. Reminisce about those first few weeks, when you dive into a new country head first and bask in the glory of culture shock. How alien it sounded to hear a new language spoken, how tantalizing the smell of new and unknown foods, how curious you were to see people wearing strange clothes. Every experience feeds the traveler's addiction - to see something new or to feel something fresh - and you grasp frantically at anything that will keep that feeling alive. But as you paddle furiously upstream, you know what's waiting for you downstream. Comfort and rest. Adventure gives way to routine and you find comfort in the things you know - your favorite TV show from back home, a bar that reminds you of your old hangout. Slowly, the feelings of culture shock - once so visceral and green - become pale memories. Did you ever really feel that way or is it just a dream you make up as you sit and stare? Stare and reminisce?

And then, boom, something happens and you realize that as much as you might slip into routine, this will never be the life that you knew. It started with something simple. I'm sitting at a street-side noodle shop. No, not a shop. A kiosk? A cart. A noodle cart. On the sidewalk. With a few small tables and baby chairs spread around. These noodle carts are Vietnam's kitchen. Dotting the city like a bad acne breakout, they feed half the population of Saigon for dinner. The noodle cart is not something you consciously think about, it's just a part of the landscape. If you trip and fall, chances are you will land in a noodle cart and order a bowl of noodles.

And so I found myself, rubbing my knee from a bad fall, ordering a bowl of noodles. Thinking of work I need to do. Thinking of how long it's been since my last blog post. Thinking of pretty much anything but the nature of the noodle cart. Expecting to hear someone shout "check please" or "another bowl please". Expecting to hear anything but "POLICE, POLICE!"

I swung my head around to see where the action's at. Was someone getting arrested? What foul crime was being perpetrated? And so you must forgive me when I realized that I was the criminal and froze up. Paralyzed not with fear, but with utter confusion at the noodle girl telling me to pick up my bowl of noodles, then deftly sweeping the table out from under me. All around me, people were hustling. Tables were swept away out of sight and customers scrambled. The noodle cart disappeared under a tarp. And me, standing there looking stupid in the middle of the sidewalk, holding a bowl of hot noodles.

"Look casual!" said the noodle girl. Ok, probably not. She probably didn't say that. But she did blurt out something unintelligible, and given the tone of her voice and the situation, I consider it a pretty fair translation. How to look casual standing in the middle of the street with a bowl of noodles? I leaned against a tree and struck my best contrapposto.

And then they passed, in slow motion. An army green truck, or maybe not a real truck at all. Maybe a movie prop, from some World War II movie with the bench seats in the back and a canvas cover on top and soldiers in the back. And as the back of the truck passes, furtive eyes scan the sidewalk. Police, on the lookout for street peddlers operating without a license.  It's ok, you're just a guy holding a bowl of noodles. It was hot in the house, you took a walk to cool off the noodles. Look casual.

The whole incident was over before I knew it and by the time I peeled my eyes off the departing truck of police, the tables and cart were already back. What was I thinking about before? Who knows, but I know what I'm thinking of now - the nature of noodle carts and how something so ubiquitous could possibly be illegal. One thing is for sure. That culture shock was no memory, no made up story of my imagination. And this is definitely not the US of A.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yo man, great post, keep writing. Followed the link from facebook to this blog! Aditya

Popular posts from this blog

Front Row Seats to the Saigon Ballet

Entrée Typical Saigon traffic On a cool Saigon night, the corps de ballet lines up behind me. Five wide and three deep, they wait for the light to change. To my left, a trendy Vietnamese teen rides her vintage Vespa. To my right, a smartly clad office worker in a business suit sits atop her gleaming new Yamaha Nouvo. These, my lead ballerinas , stand with me at the front of the corps . As the red light counts down, the dancers rev their engines in anticipation. Green light and the dancers all pounce forward in a grand jeté . The wind blows in my face as I savor the beauty of the dance. Ahead, a pedestrian blocks our way - a rock in the stream - but we adjust without the slightest hesitation. I weave right. Vespa girl weaves left. As my alley approaches and I prepare for my coda , I look to my right and give a small nod to Yamaha girl - great performance, see you again at the 7 o'clock show . She looks at me as though I'm crazy. And... she's right. I am completely and ho

How To Climb a Mountain in Six Easy Steps

This post is dedicated to EC, to whom I promised to tell this story.  Hike Fuji! Step 1: Skip the Planning The beauty of Fuji It's one of the curious dichotomies of life that often, the harder you hold onto something, the more likely it will slip your grasp.  Hearts have been broken by this age-old rule.  Fortunes squandered.  Kingdoms lost.  Sometimes, you need to let go.  Sometimes, you need to say "to Hell with  planning"  and just let things happen. Our story today comes courtesy of yesterday.  Or yesteryear, rather.  August in the late 90's tucked somewhere between the trial of  O.J. Simpson  and the Monica Lewinsky scandal.   I was visiting my college friend John who was stationed at the U.S. Naval Base at Yokosuka, south of Tokyo.   After an interesting visit of Tokyo involving coffin hotels and irritating Yakuza at the onsen , we planned to climb Mt. Fuji on my last weekend before going home. The attentive reader will have already figured ou